Tuesday, December 3, 2019

ASSEMBLAGE, FOUND ART OBJECTS, SCULPTURE, STEP-BY-STEP

I've been a fan of myths and legends since I was a child. Medusa, especially, caught my fancy.
She was a Gorgon, but before that she was a beauty. Raped by Poseidon, cursed by Athena, she was said to have wings. One of her sons was the winged Pegasus.
I always have a concept in mind before I begin.
I also prefer to build upon a structure or support.
Below I've pictured a few of the materials I
gathered ahead of time. Didn't use them all!
 
The costume pin reminded me of snakes!
I often change my plans as I go. Materials not shown are an old rubber ball and a metal ball-chain necklace that "fancied up" the edges later. Of course I also used paints (acrylics) & adhesives.
I cut the doll's rubber "hair" off and
affixed the ball to the face, to serve
as forehead and top of head. When
dry & secure, I punched holes in the
"scalp" and glued in the toy snakes.
The baby-doll face was waaaay too
cute, so I created her unsightly nose
and mouth from molding paste.
I adhered the lovely face image looking down at Medusa, and placed her in a bubble of glass (slightly domed, from a small picture frame).
 Below is a detail of the topmost part. Note the blue eyes on either side of the "turned-to-stone" figure--because, you know, MEDUSA!
The horse's wings came from a composite angel.

Another close-up, below, of the 2 key-chain "snakes."  
On the two outer sides, I made marks: ancient Greek symbols.
They seemed too obvious until I partially obscured them.

This "junk art" can be either a tabletop piece or wall-hung.     
Most of the materials were either discards or thrift-shop finds.
  
In need of more assemblage art inspiration? There are many more examples on this site.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!