Monday, December 9, 2019

FLUID ART, POURED PAINT, FUN TECHNIQUE


I tried pour painting for the first time!

If you haven't used this technique before, study up on it first. I'm always jumping in head first and I also experiment, a lot. So my first two results, below, are mixed, but I did enjoy the effort.

Here are some of the materials you'll need:
  • Canvas surface and acrylic paints
  • White gesso
  • Plastic or rubber gloves
  • Paint pouring medium
  • Silicone oil (a medium that helps make "cells," which are soooo cool!
  • Plastic cups with lids to keep paint wet
  • Craft sticks for mixing
  • Squeeze bottles for more pour control (optional)
  • Paint brushes to touch up and embellish pours
  • Plastic drop cloths (or many, many layers of newspapers or butcher paper) 
Set your canvas on a jar to raise it up.
I used cobalt blue, a yellow-green, and a metallic blue-green for my first pour. I also substituted some pure pigment medium for some of the pricey pouring medium, in the spirit of exploration. (It's a Createx transparent base.) I had to add water, too, so the mixture would be thin enough. The pouring paint must not be too thick!!! 
My first finished fluid art.
Again, with my tendency to NOT follow rules, I added some Createx extender
to the second attempt, and even used an old, painted canvas as my base,
rather than a new, gessoed canvas. 
I also added  "Cell Magic" (silicone oil).
The heat I added didn't create cells, but I like the crackle effect.
 I do recommend that you read other instructions
 and see some videos if you are serious about trying this painting effect. 

Thanks for viewing this post. I always appreciate followers of this blog. 
Paula
 


1 comment:

  1. I love the one with crackled effects -beautiful color combinations! And I chuckled when I saw the quote about Normal :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!