Saturday, October 12, 2019

A MONOCHROMATIC EXERCISE FOR ART TEACHERS & OTHERS

SQUEEZE-BOTTLE LINES WITH BLACK GESSO
 
Gesso has enough body and tooth to use as a barrier to hold in wet media, once it's dry. 
gesso, painting
I made my own black and gray gessos.
You can buy colored gesso or add acrylic color to white gesso. A clean squeeze bottle served me well for "drawing" the shapes. I also filled in some areas. Then I let the design dry overnight, before painting. See the first step above.
 
Then, the next day, I used diluted paint to complete the forms and shade parts of the background. 
painting, Guhin
This study was finished with fluid black acrylic and water.

The water and paint stayed within the confines of the slightly raised gesso lines. This exercise might be good for middle schoolers or beginners at the high school level. Art teachers could substitute watercolors at the painting stage if desired. Even pastels would be great! Students could create their own designs rather than relying on this "Pebble" motif, of course.
Guhin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!