Saturday, June 22, 2013

DECONSTRUCTING HANDMADE PAPERS TO MAKE A NEW ARTWORK

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE A WORK ON PAPER!

I was experimenting one day with adhering layers of paper together and then tearing some of it off. I didn't care for one result, so I painted it mostly red with acrylics. When that was dry, I added white, black,  and blue paint, as shown below.
how to, how-to, tutorial
Not my best work, by a long shot!


















I still didn't particularly like the result, but rather than add more paint, I cut it up into squares and rectangles of assorted sizes. Then I collaged them all together, and got the artwork below. 
low-cost art, frugal art
Which one do you like best?


3 comments:

  1. I love the outcome ( 2nd piece) lovely!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like them both. They each have a unique appeal. I like the rhythm you created with the layered blocks--it has character. But I like the focal points of the original. I'm having a hard time finding a focal point in the second one, and the subtle interplay of lines, shapes, color and texture in the first one are obscured when we see only pieces of the picture. Still like both, but leaning a little towards the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thanks to you both. Anonymous, it's so kind of you to leave thorough, thoughtful comments! I thought the white and bright red a bit left of the center would be my focal point, but the photograph is a bit dark, darn it!

    ReplyDelete

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!