Saturday, November 9, 2019

NEW COLLAGE - PAINTING step-by-step

Learn how I created a mixed-media artwork in sequence!

I began with a used canvas, barely gessoed with thin, watery white gesso so the unwanted painting below would show through somewhat.

Rough blocking out of the lowest and highest values is always a good idea, at least for me. You can always change your mind later, but this gave me an idea of my layout.
Step 1
Next, I mixed a blue-gray acrylic paint and applied mid-tones. 
Pointer: Always strive for balance, even at an early stage.
Step 2, some mid-tones added.
 Then, collaged papers and text, and a small, real feather.        
I also stamped pattern to create a few bright accents.        
Petroleum jelly can be applied selectively (I used streaks) 
to protect previously-painted areas. Make sure that the   
paint is dry before you apply the resist (the petroleum   
jelly). Then paint over that with a contrasting color.   
Let THAT paint dry, then wipe off. A really cool effect!
    
THIS FINISHED WORK, BELOW, IS DONE IN A TRIADIC, PRIMARY COLOR SCHEME.

"Temporary," by yours truly, Paula G.




Thanks for viewing this post! I appreciate it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!