Thursday, January 16, 2020

FROM A MIXED MEDIA IDEA TO AN ACRYLIC PAINTING

Don't you love a brand new, snow white canvas? Especially when it's stretched, primed, and deep! I've read that all that whiteness is intimidating to some, but it inspires me to try something different. 
I wanted to do a cityscape for a change, 
but my grand idea flopped.
I had planned this artwork as a collage/painting 
with lots of interesting artsy papers combined with
a very wet, blended sky. I thought the watery acrylics 
would contrast nicely with the hard edges of cut paper pieces.
I  used dioxazine purple, Quinacridone Violet, Indian 
Yellow, Titanium White, & a few other colors that I 
mixed from leftover acrylic paint I had on hand. I 
liked the idea of a complementary color scheme...
& purple is the complement of yellow. (Also, 
yellow-green is the opposite of red-violet!) 
To enhance the wet-on-wet effect, I used a floating medium.
Flow release medium works much the same way.

I extended paint to the sides too.












Art ideas can change as you go along.

Yep, I had cut a variety of textured
and painted papers, but as I arranged
them on the canvas I realized that
they were too precise and perfect for my
"messy," loose, freely painted portions. 
I painted the buildings & more, including a   
few shadows, and then stamped in lines,  
shapes, & textures. See below,
though I want to do more to it.  
   
   I hope you'll try a cityscape if you haven't
   already. If you want to create a collage that's
   not too tight and hard-edged, 
   consider torn papers. 
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!