Thursday, January 21, 2010

JUST BLOW!

Here's a painting project—sorry, not mixed media—that's a lesson in color harmony!
Use watercolors or acrylics.

1. Sweep analogous color washes of juicy paint to create a background on paper or canvas. (Analagous means colors that are found beside each other on the color wheel.)

2. Allow the thin washes to dry. Then place a drop of dark paint or ink at the bottom edge and use a drinking straw to blow it upward in branch-like lines.
Just don't forget yourself and suck it up! Chase that droplet up the page with your drinking straw. Wiggle that straw!
3. When the twig-like lines are dry, paint in a few flower heads, leaves and buds.

Does this take you back to your misspent elementary-school youth? See, “blowing it” can be a good thing!



4 comments:

  1. Paula, I love this picture you made by blowing paint around. It looks fun and messy! Another thing to put on my "to do" list.

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I've been thinking of trying some tutorials, just not sure how to start yet. I guess I'll just practice by trying to be more detailed in how I made stuff. Maybe authoring a book is in my future??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, You have a Great Blog. Beautiful images and wonderful painting tips. I should have come by first. Theirs some wonderful challenge sites that use digital images, might be more to your liking, look into The Three Muses. Great group of ladies, you'll have a ton of followers in no time. and offer up some blog candy. It works! Best of luck I'll be checking back in. Love the photo of the door BTW.
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work and it looks like your blog is off to a great start! I can't wait to see what you come up with next :)
    Inka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Inka, I also found your beautiful blog. I have an altered book that is sitting waiting to be finished and it deals with "doors" so I loved your door image. I also like your watercolor piece. I'll have to try the straw technique.

    ReplyDelete

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!