Tuesday, May 5, 2020

MUTANT, A COLLAGE PAINTING IN MEMORY OF PLAGUE VICTIMS

I'm mad as hell about it, hate that 100,000 Americans could die from Covid-19, and countless others have already lost their lives in the pandemic.  I'm in sorrow, sheltering in place & hoping you are staying safe.
This artwork began on a vintage anatomy chart. 
It was a canvas-like scroll with rods at top and bottom.
I'll show some steps and techniques below. 
chart, guhin
Original old medical chart.

detail,guhin
Because the virus is rough, I added texture in places.

I didn't want the original warm tones of the figure (they were too pleasant), 
so I made a Dioxazine purple glaze. But I didn't like that either! So I went blue.
A cool blue wash (acrylics & water) for some of the
background, too, and white too. But I also wanted visual texture.

tip, guhin
PAINTING TIP: Open a packet of de-oxidizer, desiccant or silica gel (sometimes found
in new shoeboxes). I sprinkled those tiny pebbles into the wet paint
and got a cool effect!

close-up, guhin
Close-up of part of the painting and collage elements.
I painted a cut-off tree trunk to symbolize all the lives cut short.
I collaged a cut-out eye, heart, and 3 birds into the piece. 
Owls and ravens are symbolic, too, of course.  
art, guhin
21" x 5.5'

partial,guhin
detail, guhin
Detail of ravens.