Friday, July 1, 2011

GUEST POST BY THE TALENTED REBECA TREVINO

Today we feature a gifted assemblage artist, Rebeca Trevino. She speaks in her own words below.


HOME BIRD

Thank you for inviting me to be a guest artist on your blog. The only thing I like more than making art is talking about making art. Up until a few years ago, I called what I do ‘making boxes’, because calling it “art’ seemed too high-brow for me. I like putting stuff together with other stuff because it looks good. My hope is that when one of my pieces is finished, the viewer will want to look and look again as they realize that although the things in the piece appear to be out of context, when looked at together they now create a whole new perspective.

I like the unexpected and secretive aspect a box provides. The most amazing thing about working within a box is how versatile it is as an art format. A box can hold secrets, or treasures, or thoughts. A box can tell a whole story just by opening the lid. Boxes hold our curiosity, people always want to look inside. To add interest to my boxes, I often embellish them with things like dice feet, faucet handles or brass bells. I also use words and collage images to tell the story.

Only recently have I expanded my horizons and am now using other formats, such as wooden fish, ducks and most recently, a wooden pig.
At the heart of my efforts as an artist is the need to recycle things, to rescue stuff that has been forgotten or thrown away. I call what I do: “OBTAINIUM ART" and the materials I use I call OBTAINIUM, defined as: art materials, not bought new, but obtained in other ways, such as 2nd-hand, dumpster diving, chance findings, or donations.

If you look through my blog, you will notice that some of my boxes open and close, while others simply offer the opportunity to look inside. Each of my pieces invites the viewer to interpret what they see based on their own experiences, hopefully provoking a fond feeling or memory. Each box is one of a kind.

I would also like to talk about the two pieces pictured here, called “Home Bird” and “Home Camel”. I made these for my niece, who lives in Texas. She recently moved into her dream home. I wanted to make a little something for her to put in a corner of her new home. These are very small pieces (3” x 3”). I typically work in a bit larger format, so this was a huge challenge for me. Additionally, because I had to fly from California to Texas to deliver them, I wanted to hand carry them on board so they had to be small . . . anyway, I love, love, love how they turned out.

 
I hope you enjoy my work. I sure love making it.










          
HOME CAMEL 
Be sure to visit Rebeca's blog at http://rebecatrevino.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!